Voting

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spreading Like Wildfire




The Word for the day: Panic

pan·ic [pan-ik]–verb (used without object)
to be stricken with panic; become frantic with fear

Normally, I don't panic. When placed in a new or uncomfortable situation, I get nervous just like the next guy, but today was different. I wasn't hysterical and I wasn't out of control but I was panicked.

The afternoon was winding down when Jaime approached me and told me I might have trouble getting home tonight. My first thought was that my new vehicle had been hit in the parking lot. That alone was enough to rattle me but what she said next jarred me even more. It turned out, there was a huge fire roaring out of control near the subdivision where we live. Roads were already blocked and I wasn't sure we could get through.
My first concern was for our pets: Bubby, Bart, and Meow. We leave them outside each day but if a fire approached would they make it out on their own? My next thought was of the irreplaceable things that everyone has in their home: family photos, videos, and heirlooms.

All of that flashed through my head as I grabbed for the telephone and called my husband. With a few terse words, I let him know what I had heard. I knew he could make it home at least ten minutes before I could and I was afraid time was of the essence. I threw my computer into my bag, grabbed my jacket and hurried to my car. As I headed north, I kept scanning the sky for the first signs of smoke. I tried to calm my panic and keep my speed under control as I prayed for the animals. When I was still miles away, I could see the plumes of white and black smoke and the urgency of the situation became more intense. As I neared the turn that I normally take, I could see that it was blocked by a sheriff's patrol car so I kept going, praying that the back road wouldn't be blocked. If it was, we wouldn't be able to get to our home and our pets. Luckily, that road was clear and when I got home my husband was starting to water down our lawn. My first act, after rounding up animals, was to go to the basement and begin packing photo albums, scrapbooks, pictures and home videos into suitcases in case we had to grab and go.

It took several hours and several drives around the subdivision, which only escaped damage by the width of a road, to lessen my fear.

The only casualty I am aware of was a fire truck that exploded when it got stuck in the sand and was overrun by the fire. Luckily, the firefighters were unharmed. On my final trip before dark, I drove around three sides of the fire zone. The land was scorched and smoldering, the air was acrid with the smell of smoke and in some places, trees were still aflame. It is clear to see how easily the fire spread through the rolling sand dunes full of dry natural grasses. One is also aware of how lucky some residents were to have escaped without any damage to their homes, and how fortunate we are to have dedicated public servants to protect us and our property.

Today, I got a lesson about wildfires and panic. Both can spread quickly, both can be fought, and both can be brought under control. Thank heavens for that!

1 comment:

  1. I kept trying to call you to find out if everything was OK!! I am glad to hear nobody lost anything, but can't imagine the feelings you were having.

    ReplyDelete