Voting

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Piecing it All Together



in·tu·i·tion [in-too-ish-uhn, -tyoo-]
–noun 1. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.


I taught myself to crochet a long time ago. I was inspired by my Granny who crocheted hundreds of afghans in her lifetime. She always had a bucket filled with skeins of yarn beside her recliner and she worked on new blankets while she watched tv. Granny gave me books, patterns, a crochet hook, and yarn. I read, practiced and made a pillow and afghan using some relatively complicated stitches. Then I put the yarn and hooks away in a closet and didn't do it for ten years.

My interest in crocheting was resurrected when I spent time with my two sisters-in-law over a Christmas vacation a year ago. Lisa, my husband's older sister, is an accomplished crocheter who always has a project going and an abundance of yarn. Nicolle, the wife of my husband's younger brother, is an accomplished knitter and was working on baby hats and little girls' sweaters. Nicolle wanted to learn how to crochet Granny Squares, so when Lisa taught her how, I took the lesson too!

It turned out to be so much fun, I couldn't quit. I eventually had enough Granny Squares in various shades of purple, blue, and white, to crochet them together into an lap robe for my daughter, Cameron.



As it turned out, I was able to surprise her with the blanket for graduation, just in time for her to take with her when she moved to Chicago. How did I know that Chicago would be having such a cold and snowy time of it this winter? Mother's intuition....I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment